Human Hair vs. Remy Human Hair
When buying human hair extensions, you may have come across terms like human hair, virgin hair and Remy hair. To the average person, these terms can be very confusing. After all, all you are looking for is authentic human hair weaves and these words may distract from that purpose more than anything. This is why we've decided to take a closer look at human hair vs. Remy human hair. These two terms are used interchangeably, yet the mean very different things.
What is Remy Hair?
"Is Remy hair better than human hair?" This is the question for many new hands. Weaves and wigs that have the tag “Remy Hair” are considered the highest quality. The main reason for this is that the cuticles in Remy hair are always intact and running in the same direction. The following are just some of the characteristics of Remy human hair.
• The term Remy refers to the characteristics of the hair and the method that is used to manufacture hair extensions. These hair extensions are more popular than human hair extensions because they are of higher quality.
• Because they are of higher quality, Remy hair extensions last longer than human hair extensions, up to a year with proper care.
• All the cuticles in Remy hair extensions run in the same direction. This reduces the chances of tangling and matting, thereby reducing the chances of damage.
• Remy hair is also much healthier than human hair because all cuticles are intact and run in the same direction.
It is however important to note that there are some low quality Remy hair in the market. Some companies rush the production process and coat the strands with silicone to make the hair appear shinier than it is.
We also should mention that because of the quality of Remy hair and the processing it has to go through, it is often more expensive than human hair.
What is Human Hair?
In contrast, human hair is often collected from hair brushes and hair that has fallen on the floor in salons and barbershops. As a result, human hair is often in plentiful supply and therefore more affordable than Remy hair. But because of how the hair is collected, the cuticles are often not running in the same direction.
To compensate for this, most manufacturers will put the hair in an acid bath to remove the remove the cuticles. This is one of the reasons why human hair weaves tend to look like they have been relaxed. The hair is then dipped in silicone to cover up the cuticle removal and make the hair look and feel shinier. This is one of the reasons why the hair will lose its luster and soft texture after several washes.
The Difference between Remy Hair and Human Hair
The following are some of the main differences between Remy hair and human hair.
• They are collected very differently and as a result Remy hair is often rarer than human hair and therefore more expensive.
• Remy hair is also of much high quality than human hair. As a result, it tends to last longer than human hair.
• Most types of hair that you find in the market today are non-Remy hair. This means that the cuticles have either been removed or are not running in the same direction.
Virgin Human Hair vs. Remy Hair: Which One to Choose?
So the question remains, which one should you, choose? And while Remy hair seems like a great choice when you want quality hair that will last a long time, the cost and the fact that it is less available as compared to human hair can make it out of reach for most people. The truth is the one you choose will depend on how much you are willing to spend on the wig or weave. But keep in mind that there are some products that claim to be “Remy” hair when they are nor. So, only buy from reputable sellers.